Top 5 Herbs for Eyes You Should Take for Better Vision
The beauty of the world can only be experienced because we see them. The eyes are great tools for everyday life, so it’s important to take good care of them. Adopting healthy lifestyles and eating the right foods offer the best path to ensuring healthy vision.
When it comes to eating healthy, it’s important to include herbs in your meals as they provide additional benefits. Today, we look at the different herbs for eyes, including their benefits and how you can use them.
What Are Some Factors That Can Reduce Eye Health?
There are factors that put some individuals at a higher risk of developing eye problems than others. It is important to note this factors because all efforts at enhancing eye health would center on tackling them.
The different risk factors for the eyes include:
- Age: It’s not news anymore that old age comes with its downsides. An example is the weakening of the eye muscles which leads to a drop in vision quality. It’s also at an old age that individuals start experiencing cataracts at a steady rate. Therefore, it’s important to see your doctor for regular eye tests, especially if you’re in your forties and above.
- High blood pressure: Hypertension is also a risk factor because it can increase the rate of eye problems. It also causes negative changes to the blood vessels supplying the eye, making it easier to contract eye infections.
- High blood sugar: If you’ve been diagnosed with high blood sugar, it’s important to also carry out tests on the eyes. This is important since elevated blood levels increase the eye’s vulnerability to infections and vision loss.
- Family history: People with a family history of eye-related problems are at higher risk of developing these problems than others.
What Are The Herbs For Eyes To Add To Your Diet?
We begin our list of herbs for eyes with one of the most popular spices out there. Turmeric is an important part of almost all cooking but it’s also an essential herb for taking care of the eyes.
Its active ingredient, curcumin, is important for reducing one’s vulnerability to age-related issues. This entails curcumin in turmeric is essential for aging individuals to maintain a healthy state including having proper vision.
Turmeric is widely sold as a spice in stores, where you can also find curcumin extracts.
Eyebright is a herb characterized by its small white flowers with purple streaks. It was adopted into the list of herbs for eyes decades ago, proving useful to individuals with eye problems.
For instance, the use of eyebright significantly reduces irritation in all parts of the eye, especially the cornea. It does this by reducing inflammation in the cornea cells caused by sunlight. As a result, it reduces redness and eye swelling. All these benefits help this herb live up to its name and keep your eye bright. Sorry for the pun, we couldn’t help it. Moving on.
The roots, stem, and leaves of this herb can be brewed into a tea for drinking. The liquid extracts are taken as dietary supplements, and you can find eyebright in stores as pellets, capsules, or eye drops.
This feathery, green-white plant offers several health benefits to the eyes and forms a good part of any diet. They come packed with nutrients and offer antimicrobial and antioxidant effects on the body. These nutrients include vitamin C which reduces inflammation in cells.
As one of the herbs for eyes, the fennel plant and its seeds contain tons of plant compounds alongside antioxidant properties. These ensure a decrease in the presence of risk factors for eye problems.
Fennel plants are added to meals and their seeds too are incorporated into dishes. There are also fennel supplements and extracts that, when taken in moderation, offer similar benefits.
It doesn’t just sound like it, this fruit is also related to the blueberry family. Also known as huckleberry, it serves as a herbal supplement useful for counteracting eye problems such as clouding of the lenses as well as night vision.
Bilberries are also useful for their antioxidant properties as well as the relief it provides to eye-related issues. It’s one of the most widely used herbs for eyes and it offers anti-inflammatory properties as well.
Bilberries can be extracted into powder and supplements while the fruits can be eaten raw or used for baking pies and making jams.
A native plant of China, ginkgo has been grown for thousands of eyes and offers a range of benefits. The seeds and leaves are useful as alternative herbal remedies and their extracts are sold in stores to help manage eye problems.
Ginkgo is considered one of the herbs for eyes due to its effects on the blood supply to the eyes. Simply put, ginkgo helps increase blood flow to the eyes, leading to better vision and eye health.
As for consumption, Ginkgo is available as capsules, tablets, and liquid extracts. The leaves can also be brewed into tea.
Healthy Tips for Maintaining Good Eyesight
Your eyes are as important as any organ in the body and so is their health. Therefore, there are certain habits and lifestyles to adopt to help keep the eyes healthy.
- Ensure a healthy and balanced diet. Do this by eating lots of fruits and vegetables regularly especially green, leafy vegetables. At the same time, adding foods like salmon increases your omega-3 intake for a healthier vision.
- Regular exercise helps control blood and cholesterol levels in the body. It’s essential to reduce the risk of these levels getting elevated because they, in turn, affect or impair your vision.
- Watch your weight. People who have healthy weights are less vulnerable to risk factors like high cholesterol and high blood sugar. These are both factors that lead to complications in the eye if not monitored.
- Sunglasses aren’t just fashion statements. Getting a pair to protect your eyes from sunlight is pivotal to preventing visual problems.
- Avoid smoking as this can cause degeneration with age. It also paves the way for damage to the optic nerves if the resulting risk factors persist.
Again, the eyes are very important so proper care must be taken to ensure they’re in peak shape. It’s the only way to ensure they function properly while reducing the risk of developing complications. Maintaining a healthy diet through the addition of herbal supplements for eyes to your regular meals helps a great deal.